Friday, May 25, 2007

TV Links for Arabic Learners

Hey everybody, lets have a podcast that includes clips and reviews of Arabic TV programs, written with clear and eloquent forms like those you would hear from a University professor (اللغة العربية الفصحى)targeted for the intermediate to advanced Arabic Language Learner.

Something I already have: lots of English TV programs. And they're available to me for zero cost, of questionably legal origins. Any Arabic bloggers out there want to clue me in where you keep your pirate libraries? I have no intent to steal anything from anyone.

I know it's not kosher (or halal either... مشبوحة على الأقل) to accept stolen property in the real world, but does the same rule apply to audio and video content that may have been hijacked by pirates on the internet? It's not feasible to comply with a law like that, I would need some kind of intelligent filters for my eyes and ears, and a new pair of running shoes.

Someone I know: actually a number of people with video editing skills. I'm not an artistic person outside of linguistic domain, but lots of people in Rochester are producing film and animation for classes, and certainly one of you would collaborate with a producer such as myself, with aspirations to see a successful director emerge.

Just thinking out loud.

1 comment:

Kingdon said...

To follow up with the topic of this post, before anyone posts a link that doesn't meet the requirements... do remember: just because we've no regard for original authorship or copyright law, does not mean we shouldn't comply with the Americans with Disabilities Act. Any audio content presented should include a transcript (or video subtitles) for readers who are hearing impaired.

As a/v bean-counters and linguists I strongly suggest that we should be involved primarily in transcription, not only translation.