Sunday, June 17, 2007

Beat The Street!

For anyone interested in the stock market, here is my informed decision. Got $100k? Wondering what to do with it? Son, get yourself some stocks!

My picks, and these trades should go through Monday morning:

  • Wal-Mart Stores: 500 Shares
  • Sony Corp: 500 Shares
  • Western Digital Corp: 1000 Shares
  • IBM Corp: 200 Shares
  • Red Hat, Inc: 1000 Shares
How did I decide? Most obvious was Wal-Mart. Wal-Mart is enormous. I shop at Wal-Mart. I have worked (indirectly) for Wal-Mart, and I was impressed by the power of their organization. I've learned about the long tail and the related money and influence, and without the economic big stick that is Wal-Mart I suspect that most of us Americans couldn't afford to have a soul.

Then there's Sony Corporation. While I am impressed by their size and long-time command of such a large chunk of the entertainment market, mostly I enjoy the idea of the PS3 and their expressed vision for the future of gaming. Sounds like it will sell lots of game consoles to parents who want to instill their children with Japanese discipline. I'm not buying one, but I can't get Nintendo stock without trading on the Tokyo exchange.

Reasons for Red Hat should be obvious -- there's about a billion believing geeks out there (some of them hate Microsoft) and Red Hat is the only company that is really giving them exactly what they want; by ironing out the kinks in free software, and building an infrastructure for giving out lots of homework assignments. Luke, this one's for you!

IBM stock I have purchased for a similarly selfish reason; in my experience IBM support is second to none. The website is the most friendly to developers and system maintainers. As I come from the school of thought that you too can be replaced by a small shell script (and should be), this is a big indicator of which company really shares my interests.

Second runner up in this market segment is Dell, and to tell the truth I think this should be my first choice -- my server room is full of Dell equipment. Still I am struggling to bridge the gap between my affinity for Dell and my Irish identity. And it doesn't help that Dell Enterprise sales staff still don't return my messages.

I don't think I have to explain the Western Digital pick if you've been paying attention to my train of thought regarding data retention on KPB Code in the slightest. Optical storage is "not there yet," and tapes are the way of the past. Any organization with the slightest internal storage requirement is going to spend a considerable amount of money on disk. Anyone smart enough to outsource their storage needs to Google... well, WD drives are quiet and cheap -- I bet Google buys these too, but maybe Maxtor or Samsung.

So far I haven't found an organization that doesn't maintain any information memory. Microsoft fronts this appearance the best out of any company, but I'm not convinced that's a good reason to take stock in your company. Hook me up with a manager who blogs like I do and we'll talk more! Otherwise I'm taking up real estate.

No comments: