Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Still Seeking Employment

In my search for employment I've found that there are some things that an interviewer for a computer science job generally wants, and today they are things that I don't have, to my satisfaction. First, they want to see an unofficial transcript; that is taken care of. I've got an official transcript and I can make as many unofficial copies as I want, so this is not a problem.

The next thing they will ask to see is a code sample; what can you do, and what have you done? I'm pretty good at explaining the projects I've done, but I don't own the copyright to any of the more valuable ones! In fact the only projects of mine that have a concrete value in US Dollars were explicitly work for hire. I don't feel comfortable publishing a work for hire into the public domain, unless I have full ownership of the copyrights.

Consider my dilemma: if I do a good job and really capture the market, then that's one more free project to distract my potential customers and clients from their other needs. That means less time spent griping about things that don't work, and at least one less paying job for people with my particular skill set! What an awful predicament.

In response, the Metris project is born. Follow this code base and you can observe the changes in my coding style while I work with other developers. My goal is to generate a 3D-Accelerated Tetris clone that is both cross-platform and full of useful features.

The project repository is a Subversion hosted using Apache and ModDAV, enabled with WebSVN for your RSS viewing pleasure. I hope you'll consider joining the project, so feel free to e-mail me if you'd like write access to the repository and I will certainly grant your wish!

No comments: