Tuesday, July 7, 2009

So, Kingdon...

What kind of crap have you got on that machine? You sure spend a lot of time on it!

Today is the day, I'm cleaning out my computer so I can give it up, I'm really not sharing it very well... that is, whenever anyone comes to use it, I am in the way! That's almost worse than paying money to use the machine.

I used to say I'm a programmer who avoids programming at all costs. What does that mean? Most of these toolkits have lots of bells and whistles, and it's very hard to sell to a non-programmer. People use this computer, and I write software, but my audience is sometimes very small. At the same time, I'm part of a much larger audience of users, and a member of many highly fragmented communities. Some are millions, most have never met.

I wanted to write this post without a web browser. Google tells me there are two options; I'm sure that there are more, but reallistically there are two paths: Windows Live Writer and Blog.gears, both of them use Web components, and one must actually run in a web browser (though supporting offline operation.) I was planning to document all of the software that I've installed, so that I can find it again after I've lost it. I'm deleting it... the computer is nearly full, and I want to make sure that people can use it without running out of space.

Plus, I have too many development environments and backup schemes. There's something to be said for redundancy, but when it impacts your productivity, you need to take a hard look and make some decisions about what needs to go. On Jupiter alone (10GB) I have DriveImageXML, BitTorrent, CoLinux with ArchLinux, the FactorCode VM, a Ruby environment with some gems required by Substruct and whatever else I've been testing on this machine (Python has already been deleted), SSH clients for Git and for personal use, as well as Subversion, with finally Groovy, Griffon, and Apache Ant.

I also forgot to mention WatiR, the Web Application Testing in Ruby framework... and this fabulous collection of software known only as VENUS-736, for the size of the archive at the time the release was fixed, 736MB. I'll be totally honest, it was only 208 until I added a movie. You like movies, right? I think you ought to watch more movies, that's why I included it.

10GB is about half of the largest quota I've allocated in my new schema for system backups, so I'll stop the listing there, and post again once I've got it all copied somewhere safe. Somewhere safe is the RAID5 array at the office. It's especially safe today, since the bootloader failed, and nobody else in the office is trained to bring it back up. (Nobody that I would trust, anyway.) So, I'll go turn the crank a few times and say Hi to my friends at Venture Creations, and my 11 readers at SixthLayer (you must know who you are?) will hear from me again pretty soon.

3 comments:

yebyen said...

PS: Sorry to all my readers, I protected updates on kpb_work and it seems to have affected the front SixthLayer page so that it pokes the reader and insists that you ought to have a Twitter account.

If you think you need a Twitter account, go out and talk to some people. But for now, just click Cancel if you haven't got the right credentials for the prompt.

Hint about the next article: I'm looking for reviewers (people) to buy these allocations of backup quota. That means you get access to some of my work, and you get to say what stays and what goes.

We're talking real estate..Show me!

yebyen said...

Oh Noes!

I'm getting errors like "Bad Magic Number," "You Have to load a Kernel First," and other strange bits from Grub 2. I don't know if it can be repaired.

I swapped out the 3 RAIDed disks for the one that was not in use, and I've got VMware ESX Server running now, apparently.

Written on the back of a Citi statement is the list of operating systems that will get wiped out today, as part of my restoration of services... I wish I had another one of these machines to call Production!

120GB+JQ-2fDISK1
AV50_EX_OVF
ArchLinux x64
Debian Unstable
Design Resources
Phone Home
Windows 7
XEN 3.0.3 CD

Sorry, but I didn't keep any of the keys, the MACs are probably all expired, and I'm sure I haven't paid the licensing for VMWare Infrastructure...

These clients are TERMINATED!

Kingdon said...

apt-get install udev

*embarassed*

my PTY Allocation Request Failed on Channel 0 errors are all gone, the recovery process is going to be fun.